Don’t Just Set Goals. Build Systems
不要只设定目标。建立系统
The Secret To Happiness And Achieving More
获得幸福和更多成就的秘诀
· The problem with setting goals
∘ #1 The positive fantasy
∘ #2 The outcomes first trap
∘ #3 The failure state trap
· What are systems?
· Why you need systems
∘ #1 Systems put focus on the skill
∘ #2 Systems create life-long change
∘ #3 Systems embrace happiness in the present
· How to create a system in 5 steps
· Final Thoughts
It’s that time of year again.
又到了一年中的这个时候。
The cycle never gets old.
循环往复,永不过时。
Let me guess… You’re probably reflecting on what a treacherous year it’s been.
让我猜猜......你可能正在反思今年是多么波折的一年。
The trials and tribulations you’ve had to overcome.
你必须克服的磨难和考验。
Yet you are highly convinced next year will be different…
然而,你却坚信明年会有所不同......
It won’t.
不会的。
I hate to be the party pooper, but I genuinely want the best for you, so I will tell you as it is…
我不想扫你的兴,但我是真心为你好,所以我就实话实说吧...
At the beginning of 2022, you probably set goals you want to achieve for the year, right? Lose weight, clear debt, learn a high-ticket skill, etc.
2022 年伊始,你可能会设定自己想要在这一年实现的目标,对吗?减肥、清偿债务、学习一门高技能,等等。
Did you achieve it?
你做到了吗?
If you did, I’m not talking to you — click the “X” button in the top right corner of your screen.
如果你这样做了,我不是在跟你说话--点击屏幕右上角的 "X "按钮。
But if you didn’t, I want to help you break the habit of setting lofty goals that never get realized.
但如果你没有这样做,我想帮你改掉设定崇高目标却永远无法实现的习惯。
I want to share with you the technique I’ve used to transition from:
我想与大家分享我从".....:
- a taekwondo fighter who was once tipped to represent team GB at the 2012 Olympics
曾被看好代表英国队参加 2012 年奥运会的跆拳道选手 - to a footballer who walked away from a professional contract
给一个放弃职业合同的足球运动员 - to a preacher leading a congregation of 70+ youths
到一名牧师带领 70 多名年轻人聚会 - to a machine learning engineer and writer whose stories have been viewed more than 2.1 million times in the past two years.
到一位机器学习工程师和作家,他的故事在过去两年中被浏览了 210 多万次。
All in the space of a decade.
这一切都发生在十年间。
As you read the remainder of the story, keep an open mind.
在阅读故事的其余部分时,请保持开放的心态。
I will leave you with practical steps you can implement from today that are guaranteed to transform the outcomes you achieve for 2023 and beyond.
我将为您留下从今天起就可以实施的实际步骤,这些步骤一定会改变您在 2023 年及以后取得的成果。
Like the late Albert Einstein used to say, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”
就像已故的爱因斯坦常说的:"精神错乱就是重复做同样的事情,却期望得到不同的结果"。
The problem with goal setting
目标设定的问题
We’ve all been sold a lie.
我们都被骗了
Goal setting is not how you achieve the things you want in life.
制定目标并不是实现人生理想的途径。
A goal is required for direction but to think it is how you will achieve what you want is flawed.
目标是指引方向的必要条件,但如果认为目标就是实现目标的途径,那就大错特错了。
Here’s why:
原因就在这里:
#1 The positive fantasy trap
#1 积极的幻想陷阱
It’s easy to become over-invested in achieving your goal.
为实现目标而过度投入是很容易的。
You know… when the only thing you can think of is achieving the goal.
你知道......当你唯一能想到的就是实现目标时。
The excitement. The joy. The relief.
兴奋喜悦如释重负
This is called a “positive fantasy.”
这就是所谓的 "积极幻想"。
It’s not healthy.
这不健康。
Psychologists have found the number one way your brain can unintentionally deter you from realizing your goals is by fantasizing.
心理学家发现,大脑无意中阻碍你实现目标的首要方式就是幻想。
Positive fantasies allow you to indulge in the desired future mentally…
积极的幻想可以让你在心理上沉浸在所期望的未来中......
You can taste the sensations of what it’s like to achieve your goal in the present — this depletes your energy to pursue your desired future.
你可以在当下品尝实现目标的感觉--这会消耗你追求理想未来的能量。
You’re also not alert to the obstacles you will inevitably face, which leaves you stagnant upon encounter.
你也不会对不可避免会遇到的障碍保持警惕,这让你在遇到障碍时停滞不前。
#2 The outcomes first trap
#2 结果第一陷阱
Goals hone in on outcomes…
目标聚焦于结果...
This doesn’t take into consideration the development required to maintain the outcome.
这还没有考虑到维持成果所需的发展。
Why do you think 70% of lottery winners go broke and a third declare bankruptcy within three to five years?
你认为为什么 70% 的彩票中奖者会破产,三分之一的彩票中奖者会在三到五年内宣布破产?
The symptom is treated (being broke), but the cause (lousy spending habits) is untouched.
治标(破产)不治本(不良消费习惯)。
It’s easy to think the outcomes are the problem when things look gloomy — you’re conscious of them —
当事情看起来黯淡无光时,你很容易就会认为是结果出了问题--你意识到了它们--这就是问题所在。
When you’re broke, you feel broke.
当你身无分文时,你就会感到身无分文。
When you’re overweight, you feel overweight.
当你超重时,你会感觉自己超重了。
But it’s easy to miss the cause for the recurring outcomes because they usually occur at a subconscious level.
但是,我们很容易忽略反复出现这些结果的原因,因为它们通常发生在潜意识层面。
Yes, you can win the lottery or get liposuction…
是的,你可以中彩票,也可以抽脂......
But if you continue to spend recklessly or eat junk food all the time, you’ll be right back to where you started.
但如果你继续肆意挥霍或一直吃垃圾食品,你就会回到起点。
Solving problems at the outcome level is temporary.
在结果层面解决问题是暂时的。
#3 The failure state trap
#3 故障状态陷阱
Have you ever thought, “when I achieve X, I’ll be happy?”
你有没有想过,"当我实现了 X,我就会快乐"?
That is the failure state.
这就是失败状态。
It’s a by-product of adopting the goal-first mentality.
这是采用目标第一心态的副产品。
Happiness is pushed to some later date in the future while your present self battles with the misery of the current moment.
幸福被推到了未来的某一天,而现在的自己却在与当下的痛苦作斗争。
The reason it occurs is simple: goal orientation creates either-or conflicts —
出现这种情况的原因很简单:目标导向造成了非此即彼的冲突--"非此即彼"。
“you are either a failure (you have not achieved what you want), or you are a success (you have achieved what you want).”
"你要么是失败者(你没有实现你的愿望),要么是成功者(你实现了你的愿望)"。
There’s no middle ground.
没有中间地带。
I’ve fallen into this trap countless times.
我曾无数次掉进这个陷阱。
What are systems?
什么是系统?
Systems are the moving force for the goals you set.
系统是实现既定目标的动力。
They preserve the need for self-control and increase your overall happiness in the long run.
从长远来看,它们能保持自我控制的需要,提高你的整体幸福感。
“Goals are good for setting a direction but systems are best for making progress.”
"目标有利于确定方向,但系统最有利于取得进展"。
— James Clear, Atomic Habits
- 詹姆斯-克利,《原子习惯
Here are a few examples of effective systems:
以下是几个有效系统的例子:
→ Objective: Write a book in a year. System: Write “two shitty pages a day” (as Tim Ferris would say).
→ Objective: Grow on social media. System: Post daily.
→ Objective: Master an instrument. System: Practice the fundamentals of the instrument daily.
→ 目标:在一年内写一本书。系统:每天写 "两页烂书"(正如蒂姆-费里斯所说)。
→ 目标:在社交媒体上成长。系统:每天发布。
→ 目标:掌握一种乐器:掌握一种乐器。系统:每天练习每天练习乐器的基础知识。
The importance of systems
系统的重要性
Systems introduce structure.
系统引入结构。
For example, the UK uses a credit system to determine your borrowing eligibility.
例如,英国使用信贷系统来确定您的借款资格。
I’m not saying it’s perfect, but it takes the guesswork out of who the bank thinks will likely pay them back when they borrow money.
我并不是说这是完美的,但它让银行不用猜测谁会在借钱时还钱。
The same is true for your life.
你的人生也是如此。
Systems eliminate the guesswork about what you must do to achieve what you want.
要实现自己的愿望,必须做哪些事情,系统消除了这些猜测。
Goals without systems create chaos in your life.
没有系统的目标会给你的生活带来混乱。
Here’s why you need them:
以下是您需要它们的原因:
#1 Systems focus on the skill
#1 系统注重技能
Focusing on the skill embraces process — “I’m not yet where I want to be, but if I do X, I’ll be a step closer.”
专注于技能,拥抱过程--"我还没有达到我想要的目标,但如果我做到 X,我就会更近一步"。
Even if you do not achieve your goal, you have developed a skill that will stay with you forever.
即使你没有实现目标,但你已经掌握了一项技能,它将永远伴随着你。
All of your efforts are not in vain.
你们的努力没有白费。
#2 Systems create life-long change
#2 系统创造终身变化
Unlike goals, systems emphasize process…
与目标不同,系统强调过程...
Systems treat the cause of a problem, and the symptoms (outcomes) change as a by-product.
系统治疗问题的原因,而症状(结果)的改变则是副产品。
“Fix the inputs, and the outputs will fix themselves.”
— James Clear
"修正输入,输出就会自行修正"--詹姆斯-克利
For example, treating lousy spending habits may result in you having more disposable income.
例如,治疗不良的消费习惯可能会让你拥有更多的可支配收入。
#3 Systems embrace happiness in the present
#3 系统拥抱当下的幸福
Systems acknowledge the grey zone between where you are and where you want to be.
系统承认你所处的位置和你想达到的位置之间存在灰色地带。
It’s not just black and white.
这不仅仅是黑与白的问题。
You don’t have to wait until you achieve what you want before you can be happy.
你不必等到实现自己的愿望后才会感到幸福。
You can be happy now…
你现在可以幸福了...
You can be happy now by falling in love with the sensation of moving toward where you want to be.
你现在就可以爱上向你想要的地方前进的感觉,从而获得快乐。
If you’ve read this far, you’re probably wondering how to create a system.
如果你读到这里,可能会想知道如何创建一个系统。
I’ll show you in five simple steps.
我将用五个简单的步骤来告诉你。
How to create a system in 5 simple steps
如何用 5 个简单步骤创建系统
The secret to building an effective system is incorporating small, consistent wins into your life.
建立有效系统的秘诀是在生活中不断取得微小的胜利。
You must have something you can celebrate each day.
你必须每天都有可以庆祝的事情。
Brace yourself.
打起精神来
This will be the most practical part of the article; Grab a notepad and pen, and work through these steps with me.
这将是本文最实用的部分;拿起记事本和笔,和我一起完成这些步骤。
Step 1: What do you want to achieve?
步骤 1:你想要实现什么目标?
Sit down and think about what you want.
坐下来,想想你想要什么。
Be honest with yourself, and don’t be afraid to go deep.
对自己诚实,不要害怕深入。
For instance, saying “I want to be a professional footballer” is not detailed enough if the truth is you want to be one of the best professional footballers playing in a top-four club that competes for titles in England and Europe.
例如,如果你想成为最优秀的职业球员之一,在英格兰和欧洲前四名的俱乐部踢球,那么说 "我想成为一名职业球员 "就不够详细。
The goal of this step is to completely define what is on the other side of the river.
这一步的目标是完全确定河对岸的情况。
The following steps will show you how to build a bridge and walk across it.
下面的步骤将告诉你如何建造一座桥并走过去。
Step 2: The five why’s
步骤 2:五个为什么
Everyone has goals they want to achieve — sometimes, people have the same goals as you.
每个人都有自己想要实现的目标--有时,别人和你有着相同的目标。
What will set you apart from them is your why.
让你与众不同的是你的 "为什么"。
Your “why” is what fills you with a sense of mission.
你的 "为什么 "让你充满使命感。
But it is essential to identify where the core problem lies — the thing blocking you from where you want to be (Remember: systems treat the cause, not the symptom).
但是,必须找出核心问题所在,即阻碍你实现目标的原因(记住:系统治疗的是原因,而不是症状)。
The five why’s technique is a great tool to discover exactly that.
五个为什么技术正是发现这一点的好工具。
It’s pretty simple; ask yourself why you want what you want, answer, and repeat the process four more times.
这很简单:问自己为什么想要什么,回答,然后重复这个过程四次。
For instance, take the following scenario:
举个例子,下面是一个场景:
Why #1: Why do you want to be one of the best professional footballers playing in a top-four club that competes for titles in England and Europe? Response #1: I have a chip on my shoulder. I want to prove people who doubted me wrong.
原因 #1:你为什么想成为最好的职业球员之一,在一家争夺英格兰和欧洲冠军头衔的四强俱乐部踢球? 回答 1:我肩上有一块筹码。我想证明那些怀疑我的人是错的。
Why #2: Why do you want to prove yourself to people who doubted you wrong?Response #2: So, in the future, people do not give up on me.
为什么 #2:你为什么要向那些怀疑你的人证明自己是错的?回答 #2:这样,将来人们就不会放弃我。
Why #3: Why don’t you want people to give up on you? Response #3: It kills my confidence
为什么是 #3:你为什么不希望别人放弃你? 回答 3:它会扼杀我的信心
Why #4: Why does it kill your confidence? Response #4: Because I’m very attuned to what people think of me.
为什么 #4:为什么它会扼杀你的自信? 回答 4:因为我很在意别人对我的看法。
Why #5: Why are you very attuned to what people think of you? Response #5: I have low-self esteem, and it hurts me when I feel like I’m letting others down.
为什么 #5:为什么你很在意别人对你的看法? 回答 5:我很自卑,当我觉得自己让别人失望时,我会很伤心。
Boom!
Boom!
The root cause of our scenario cases problems is low-self esteem. The goal of their mission (to become what they want) is to build their self-esteem — which is something that can be worked on each day.
我们的情景案例问题的根源在于自卑。他们的任务目标(成为他们想要的样子)就是建立自尊--这是每天都可以努力的事情。
Step 3: Learn the core actions required
步骤 3:了解所需的核心行动
I like to think of this stage as building the bridge from where you are now to where you want to be…
我喜欢把这个阶段看作是从你现在的位置到你想要的位置的桥梁...
The great thing about learning what you need to do is that you don’t have to come up with it by yourself.
了解自己需要做什么的好处在于,你不必自己去想。
It’s likely others have already achieved what you want.
别人很可能已经实现了你的愿望。
All you have to do is find them and follow the trail they left behind.
你所要做的就是找到他们,并沿着他们留下的足迹走下去。
For example, if your goal is to go from $0–7 figures with an online business in 365 days, then you may want to sign up for Tim Denning’s newsletter that teaches you exactly how to do that in 10 steps.
例如,如果您的目标是在 365 天内将在线业务的收入从 0 美元提高到 7 位数,那么您可能需要订阅蒂姆-丹宁的时事通讯,他将用 10 个步骤教您如何做到这一点。
The steps have already been created for you, don’t reinvent the wheel.
这些步骤已经为你设计好了,不要重新发明轮子。
Step 4: Set implementation intentions
步骤 4:确定实施意图
Now you’ve identified the actions required to get what you want, you must set intentions to implement them.
现在,你已经确定了获得你想要的东西所需的行动,你必须设定实施这些行动的意图。
This is known as implementation intentions.
这就是所谓的实施意图。
They are commitments to perform an action at a specific time and location — you specify what you’re going to do when you’re going to do it, and where.
它们是在特定时间和地点执行某项行动的承诺--您指定要在何时何地做什么。
The structure for an implementation intention is as follows:
实施意图的结构如下:
“I will [ACTION] at [TIME] in [LOCATION].”
"我将于[时间]在[地点]采取[行动]"。
Let’s see some examples:
→ I will train using calisthenics and weighted exercises for 1 hour every weekday before work, from 7 am to 8 am, at the gym.
→ I will write down what I buy and its price whenever I purchase something with apple pay.
→ I will create content for my Medium blog for 2 hours daily, from 4 pm to 6 pm, in my home office.
我们来看几个例子:
→ 我将在每个工作日上班前,从早上 7 点到 8 点,在健身房进行 1 小时的体操和负重训练。
→ 用苹果支付购买东西时,我会记下购买的物品和价格。
→ 每天下午 4 点到 6 点,在家里的办公室为我的 Medium 博客创建 2 个小时的内容。
Implementation intentions are a safety net for days when your motivation is depleted…
当你的动力耗尽时,实施意图是一个安全网...
And there will be a few of those days.
这样的日子还会有几天。
Step 5: Review
步骤 5:审查
The implementation intentions you initially set will build off proven systems that you have adopted from people who have achieved what you want.
你最初设定的实施意图将建立在你从那些已经实现了你的愿望的人那里采用的成熟系统的基础上。
But they may not necessarily work for you.
但它们不一定适合你。
It’s vital you understand why systems are so effective so you can adapt and improve them accordingly.
了解系统如此有效的原因至关重要,这样才能对其进行相应的调整和改进。
This involves tracking your progress to measure what is and is not working for you.
这包括跟踪你的进展,衡量哪些对你有效,哪些对你无效。
For example, I prefer to go to the gym in the mornings — when I feel more energized — but you may prefer to go after work.
例如,我喜欢早上去健身房--那时我感觉更有活力,但你可能更喜欢下班后去。
In this scenario, I’d recommend you note how you feel after going to the gym in the morning for a week or two. Then go to the gym after work and do the same.
在这种情况下,我建议你在一两周内记录下早上去健身房后的感觉。然后下班后去健身房做同样的事情。
If you notice you’re more pumped after work, then update the system.
如果你发现下班后更有干劲,那就更新一下系统。
Final Thoughts
最终想法
Goals are great for giving you a sense of direction, but they are not enough to move you forward.
目标能为你指明方向,但不足以推动你前进。
You must build a system that allows you to continuously move towards your goal, even when you are void of motivation.
你必须建立一个系统,让你即使在没有动力的时候,也能不断朝着目标前进。
To create a system, simply:
要创建一个系统,只需
- Define what you want
确定您的需求 - Identify why you want it
确定你想要它的原因 - Learn the actions you must take
了解您必须采取的行动 - Set implementation intentions
设定实施意图 - Review the system
审查系统
Thanks for reading!
感谢您的阅读!
Get your hands on a FREE copy of “Don’t Just Set Goals. Build Systems” if you’re tired of setting goals and not achieving them.
如果你厌倦了设定目标却无法实现的状况,请获取免费的《不要只设定目标。建立系统》,如果你已经厌倦了设定目标却无法实现的生活。
If you enjoyed this article, consider trying out the AI service I recommend. It provides the same performance and functions to ChatGPT Plus(GPT-4) but more cost-effective, at just $6/month (Special offer for $1/month). Click here to try ZAI.chat.
如果您喜欢这篇文章,不妨试试我推荐的人工智能服务。它提供与 ChatGPT Plus(GPT-4) 相同的性能和功能,但性价比更高,仅为 6 美元/月(特价为 1 美元/月)。 点击这里试用 ZAI.chat.